April 04, 2025

Nullified: Milo Marathon lays decision on viral runner who spread arms in Dumaguete leg

Nullified: Milo Marathon lays decision on viral runner who spread arms in Dumaguete leg
A runner during the Dumaguete leg of the National MILO Marathon 2025 became viral after she spread out her arms near the finish line, causing her and another participant to fall. | Screenshots: Bidek Teves

Three runners were just a few meters away from the finish line--one woman in green at the leftmost side, another woman in white at the center, and a man in a purple top at the left. All in step and side by side.

With literally a few steps away from the finish, the woman in white spread out her arms. She came into contact with the woman in green who was just beside her.

Unable to halt their momentum and unable to swerve, the two women collided and tripped right beside the post of the finish line.

That's the video of the National MILO Marathon 2025 Dumaguete leg that spread online on March 23.

The woman in white finished third in the women's category of the 10 kilometer race. The prize was P2,000 and a trophy. The woman in green got grazed knees for her troubles.

It kicked up criticism in running circles, calling for her disqualification.

"That is blocking kahit anong angle," noted a comment on the r/PHRunners subreddit.

"There was absolutely no reason to spread her arms like that. Lalo na when she felt na natamaan niya 'yung isang runner," wrote another redditor.

Eleven days later, MILO Marathon and organizer RUNRIO handed down their decision--the participation of the runner would be nullified.

"We deeply appreciate that the runner concerned had earlier signified her own decision to voluntarily return the award presented to her after the race. We commend her for her professional and sportsmanlike decision " the MILO Marathon and RUNRIO said in a statement.

A screenshot of the alleged runner's response on Facebook was spread, where she claimed she would be willing to surrender her trophy and cash prize. The woman's social media account is unavailable to the public, so One Sports could not verify its authenticity.

But in the screenshot of the post, the woman claimed that she thought the incident had already been reviewed and the results validated before she got her award.

The runner supposedly wrote that if she was deemed disqualified, she would accept the decision. She eventually offered to surrender her trophy and cash prize due to the "hate and negativity" she and her family received.

The woman then apologized if her actions "unintentionally hurt anyone during the race", adding that she "deeply regret" the impact the incident had on her family, running club, and the running community.

She allegedly vowed to learn from the experience.

The woman in green, who finished outside the podium, assured her followers she was alright.

"Yes, okay na ako," she said in a Facebook video on March 24, despite admitting some pain in her hands and knees. 

MILO Marathon and RUNRIO also confirmed they communicated with both runners, and "they have reached a common and amicable misunderstanding of the incident."

The organizers then declared the case to be closed. "We ask everyone with an interest in the National MILO Marathon to join us in moving forward. We urge the observance of respect for every participant, whether on social media or on the ground in the spirit of the National MILO Marathon."

There are 19 more races set in the 25-leg National Marathon, with the national finals to be held in Iloilo on December 7.

 

We use cookies to ensure you the best experience on our website. For more information, click FIND OUT MORE.